Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Procrastination Pro

My capacity for doing nothing seems boundless. I really should be working on a job application (a constant condition dating back several years now), but I can't seem to get started on that. I dislike drawing attention to myself, except in the most abstract ways--such as an anonoymous blog--and I have no gift at all for self-promotion. My general opinion of myself is that anyone who would consider either hiring or dating me is so lacking in judgment as to be unworthy of my company. (Insert Groucho Marx joke here.) I really do believe, in the abstract, that I'd be a wonderful candidate for this particular job, but I can't convince myself that I can convince anyone else of that fact.

I also need to write my supposed-to-be-daily blog post ("need to" in the sense of self-discipline), and I actually have a topic in mind, but when I think of starting that, I feel that it is self-indulgent and that I really should be working on that letter instead.

So I do neither, and instead play solitaire and watch an old Lubitsch movie. And write this.

No comments: